DIY

August 28, 2012
Modified MXL 990 (RK-12 + microphone-parts.com/Jim Williams PCB redesign)

Finished soldering up/shooting photos of an exciting soon to be released mic mod from microphone-parts.com. This particular mic started as a MXL 990. The capsule got swapped & the PCB/components had a complete make over. The mic sounds wonderful. It’s low-end response is insane. As a quick test before I bring this guy to live in the studio (FYI – this mic is going to park itself in front of my kit for it’s 1st real task) I decided to mic up some hand percussion to see how it performs. I put it side by side with my much trusted Red type-b/R8. The results are as follows.

Continue reading
April 5, 2012
DIY TB550A

Finished this guy up tonight (TB550A). Not the easiest of builds, as mentioned patience is key. I made a couple careless mistakes along the way, but all are resolved. TIP – Triple check alignment/orientations at all stages. For the time being I’ve loaded it up with a pair of 990’s & a CMOQ-2S. I might swap out the 990’s at some point, but I have to say it’s performing very well as is. Great EQ kit.

Continue reading
June 27, 2010
DIY Drum Trigger Experiment.

I’ve been using triggers for practice while away from the kit & for electric needs for some time. I built a few DIY triggers sometime ago that have worked out well.

Part List

  • x1 piezo buzzer
  • Female 1/4 jacks
  • Line audio cable
  • Mouse Pad
  • Mount Base (I used wood craft tiles)
  • Glue
  • Screws
  • Anything else you would like to help MOD the thing.

Continue reading